Monday, February 11, 2013

Week of 2/11/2013



Featured Staff
Welcome to Career Services everyone! My name is Nina Cataldo and I am one of the office assistants here. I am a sophomore from Portland, Oregon, majoring in Strategic Communication and minoring in Creative Writing. This is my second year working at Career Services and I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in the world. I love getting hands on experience helping plan and execute events on campus for my peers and being that bridge for many employers to our students. My passions to help others and to write also come together through this blog, which I write for every week…so, I hope everyone enjoys it! I cannot thank this office enough throughout my career discernment process in college; every day, I continue to develop myself as a student, a professional, and a person who can reach out to others to do the same. I am always happy to answer any questions and help my peers both during work and in my free time, so feel free to come chat with me if you see me around campus or in the office!


Employers of the Week
On Thursday, February 7th, two outstanding employers, PACAAR & Puget Sound Energy
were presented with the Internship Fair Employer Awards for their on-going dedication to stay strongly connected with the Seattle University community. Congratulations!


PACCAR Inc. is a Fortune 500 global technology leader in the design, manufacture and customer support of high-quality light, medium and heavy-duty trucks under the Kenworth, Peterbilt, and DAF nameplates. PACCAR also provides financial services and distributes truck parts related to its principal business.

PSE is one of the largest producers of renewable energy in the Pacific Northwest. Our region has experienced dramatic change during Puget Sound Energy’s 135+ year history, but one thing has remained constant: PSE’s focus on safe, reliable, low-cost energy service. The company’s commitment to serving communities, to helping make them better places to live and work, is as steadfast as ever. PSE is always looking to bring, driven individuals to play an integral role within the company to help them better serve the environment, their customers and their communities.



Upcoming Events

Q&A

"What is the importance of LinkedIn, how should I use it?"

Theresa Brostowitz: LinkedIn is a way to create a strong and professional online presence. When a potential employer, graduate school, or internship supervisor Google's your name, they should be presented with appropriate and professional information about you.

Maggie Heier: LinkedIn has helpful webinars to help people understand how to create a profile and use the site. Here is a link that lists several: http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/530
Students can view the LinkedIn 101 webinar to learn some of the basics and get started building their profile.

Sarah Thomson: After successfully creating a LinkedIn, remember to
1) Complete your profile 100%. It takes two recommendations to have a completed profile
2) Always personalize your invitation to "connect."
2) Primarily focus your relationship building within your 1st and 2nd level connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment