Sunday, June 9, 2013

Week of 6/10/2013


Featured Staff of the Week: Katie Pinney
Hi there! I’m Katie Pinney and I’m a graduate student pursuing my M.Ed. in Student Development Administration here at Seattle University. I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and studied Psychology and Criminology at the University of Minnesota. After I graduated from college, I spontaneously moved to Denver, Colorado where I first worked in Human Resources for a TV Production Company and then as an advisor for high school students at an online high school. I lived there for about 5 years before I decided to return to school to get my masters in education. I absolutely love Seattle, especially when it’s sunny!
Currently, I am interning at Career Services as an advisor. I love working one-on-one with students helping them make career decisions and talking about their future goals. When I was an undergrad, I took a Career Planning course and that is how I became fascinated with this field of work. Without that class and the support of my career counselor, I would have felt so lost after graduation. I hope to be that mentor for students that come in to our office. When I am not interning with Career Services, I spend time at my job in University Recreation as the Student Development and Leadership coordinator. In my spare time (which is very little) I love to get outside to hike, camp, and play with my dog, Frankie. I enjoy painting, running, yoga, and cooking.  I am also a huge Green Bay Packer fan and can’t wait for football season!


Upcoming Events

Hey Graduating Seniors: Keep in Touch!
First of all, congratulations from our office to you! Your ties with our office does not end here, however, because we offer services to our alumni as well! As an alum, you have unlimited appointments and drop-in opportunities for the first three years . We also offer alumni workshop series in diverse fields and are always taking into consideration new ideas! Always remember that our office is here for you no matter how long it has been since you have graduated!
As a new alum, make sure to also check out the Job Search Boot Camp event held Tuesday, June 25th from 1-4:30pm. This one day workshop will focus on four topics including: 1) Resume and Cover Letters, 2) Strategies for Your Search, 3) Leveraging Social Media & LinkedIn, and 4) Using Your Strengths in Interviews. If you are interested, please RSVP by email at careerservices@seattleu.edu

Summer Job Tip of the Week
It’s important to develop leadership skills within any job or internship we hold, but have you ever thought about the importance of listening to others? There is a lot that can be learned from being a better listener that will enhance your summer experience to something that is more memorable and possibly life-changing. Check out these tips and practice skills  for more on how to be a better listener!

No comments:

Post a Comment