Friday, May 31, 2013

Week of 6/3/2013


Meet the newest addition to our team, Patty Colosi!

Hi there! My name is Patty. I’m a transfer student walking the long road to completion of a double major in Criminal Justice and Psychology (I’m looking to add a minor too :D ). I’m also your friendly, neighborhood OA over at Career Services. I’ve only been with the office for a few weeks, but I already love the close-knit team and the opportunities I’ve had to learn about the post-grad job search. Work environment is really important to me and this office has the best I’ve ever experienced. I think students coming to utilize the office will appreciate it too. When I’m not frantically studying, I’m reading fanfiction or watching old episodes of Star Trek. I like to write and play table-top RPGs as well! I was born in Olympia, but spent my first 7 or so years in upstate New York. Now that I’m back, I don’t plan on leaving. I love Seattle!

Upcoming Events

Q&A
“I just started a new job/internship and now I’m not sure if this was the right fit for me…what do I do now?”
We all hear stories about people hating their jobs - it’s no secret! One aspect about many college internships and jobs is that they are not permanent, and that every opportunity can help you grow and realize what you truly like to do and not do. The best way to avoid a negative internship experience is to make sure to ask the right questions during the interview process. Ask questions that will really help you understand and encompass the entirety of the duties and tasks you will be performing if you receive the job. There should be no surprises if you know exactly what it entails before beginning to work.
However, there are other factors that may make you question your new job such as; the work environment, the dynamics of the staff members, etc. that you wouldn’t know as much about until you actually begin working. In this case, make sure to reflect on why you were interested in this opportunity in the first place.

Things you might consider are:

Is this position going to help you network or receive professional connections and references that will help you in the future?
Is it helping you acquire new and needed skills for your career path?
Consider your industry of interest, and perhaps you will see that you sometimes have to start working at a position that may not be completely ideal, but may help you move onward for the future.

If you are still unsatisfied with the work that is given to you, make sure to communicate with your supervisor so they understand your vision and where you saw this position taking you. If you come from an open-minded place, oftentimes they will be able to work with you to make sure you are receiving the learning outcomes you were hoping for in the first place, or help you understand where they are coming from as well.

Nonetheless, it is still possible for the position to be a bad match for you. If this is the case, be sure to discuss with your supervisor to see if there is anything you can do to step down from the position or find an alternative job so you still can support the organization and fulfill your obligation to the internship.

Always keep in mind that communication is key, and most supervisors will be delighted to work with you to make sure everyone is happy and excited about their work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment